Monday 8 March 2010

Toad-in-the-hole



I’ve often wondered where toad-in-the-hole gets its name from. The Cumberland sausages and chipolatas I’ve bought haven’t been particularly amphibian in any shape or form - fortunately. That digression aside, I love yorkshire pudding hence I love toad-in-the-hole so on Saturday I picked up some honeyed pork sausages from Borough and made this warming dish for my friend Ruth and me.

My mum used this recipe last year from Waitrose and it was amazing. You don’t really need gravy unless you’re a die hard gravy fan as the apple sauce breaks up the pudding so it’s not too stodgy. I’d be a bit more generous with the sausages next time as they were a little thinner than usual and I had no chives so substituted them with sage but it worked just as well with the mustard. I made a big tin rather than individual portions but would opt for them if I was entertaining or not in the mood for sharing which is quite common!

1 comment:

  1. It was yummy - when are you going to make more??!!

    ReplyDelete