Monday 14 June 2010

Fregola sarda

I finally tracked down a pack of fregola sarda- the Sardinian pasta that looks like couscous which I was raving on about in an earlier post! I didn't have to venture far as they were selling it cheaply at £1.50 a bag at a Borough saucisson stand- about time too!
I oven roasted some cerise orange tomatoes and red onion with garlic and chopped basil and threw it all together with the cooked fregola, asparagus and a bit of parmesan for a light dinner at the weekend.

The fregola is a bit deceptive as it swells up like big lentils once you’ve boiled it up so is a little hard to judge serving size. It’s semolina-based and tasted a bit like the hard dried spaghetti when it was not quite cooked. It took a good 12 mins to cook through, next time I’ll be adding some oil as some of the grains stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Now I’m on the scout out for some exciting recipes to try out with the remainder of the bag. This one from the Chocolate and Zucchini blog looks like a possible contender:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/10/fregola_sarda_with_zucchini_and_parmesan.php

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it! wish it wasn't so hard to get hold of, I'm going to have to start buying it in bulk!

    ReplyDelete