Tuesday 25 May 2010

The Garrison, 99 Bermondsey St, SE1

Beautiful Jen

I’ve been going to The Garrison on Bermondsey Street for a few years now and the gastro fayre never disappoints. After buying some foodstuffs in Borough with my mum on Saturday we headed there for a spot of lunch and a glass of Pimms before jumping aboard a Thames Clipper for Greenwich.

The best steak sarnie and chips in London

I was craving their bloody steak sandwich but she was far more abstemious and ordered a summer salad of prosciutto, peaches, boccini mozzarella with a light vinaigrette and a side of hand cut chips. This seasonal dish is so simple but always delicious when the ham is good and the peaches are ripe.

We were eyeing up the pudding blackboard before we had finished the mains and were taken by the salted caramel ice-cream. Sadly they were out of this so we shared three scoops of pistachio and walnut which were still very good.

I had a birthday meal here a few years ago after being charmed by the shabby chic decor while out on a work lunch. As it’s just along from our flat I often go for breakfasts or an evening drink if it’s not too packed in there.


Petits mots left in the secret drawer

My favourite thing about it is a secret drawer I discovered on a night out. I had to get a snap of it (above) on Saturday as we were seated on the next table along- it is filled with amusing little notes left by Garrison regulars/scrawls from bored diners fed up with dates who have nipped to the loo- go for lunch and add to the pile!

All aboard to Greenwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment