Saturday 2 January 2010

Bermondsey Farmers' market


Just before Christmas a little farmers' market opened up at the end of Bermondsey Street near our flat. It's like having a mini-Borough market right on our doorstep..not that Borough is far away all but sometimes it takes a fair bit of energy to push your way through the crowds there.

Bermondsey's market obviously hasn't got the same amount of produce or the buzz that Borough has but it's great for a Saturday morning shop for fresh bread, local cheeses, Polish dumplings, pestos and oils, honey, meat and veg. etc

This morning I picked up some focaccia bread which was studded in rosemary and slow baked plum tomatoes and a ball of mozzarella and had it with some prosciutto which i had pilfered from the fridge before I travelled back to London. The bread was delicious, very moist with coarse sea salt creeping into every other bite.

The mozzarella was a disappointment, I had been expecting the depth of flavour of buffalo mozzarella but I suspect it was made of cow's milk as it lacked taste. It wasn't rubbery like the supermarket packs but it didn't fall away satisfyingly in your hand upon tearing like some I've tried. I asked the lady who sold me the cheese whether I could photograph her stall and she was uncomfortable about it as if I was stealing her trade secrets. You would have thought she would be keen for the publicity as the photos below show a few of the stalls - it looks pretty depleted compared to an average Saturday. I hope that this is just because the traders and public are still enjoying the New Year holiday as it would be a shame if the market failed to attract enough interest and closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment